Mumbai: In view of the treacherous and deceptive attacks by the Chinese troops on the Indian soldiers on Monday night, the Northern Command has begun equipping its soldiers with lightweight riot gear.
According to a report, the first consignment of 500 sets of full-body protectors was airlifted from the Mumbai-based supplier to Leh where it is to be distributed among troops deployed along the LAC.
Chinese soldiers to attack Indian soldiers on Monday night has garnered outrage on social media.
Earlier, the Indian Army issued a statement, saying that the clash between the two sides happened as a result of an attempt by Chinese soldiers to ‘unilaterally change’ the status quo during de-escalation in Eastern Ladakh, adding that the situation could have been avoided had the agreement at the higher level had been scrupulously followed by the Chinese side.
Indian Army troopers were outnumbered by 1:5 when they came under attack from the Chinese People’s Liberation Army soldiers at patrolling point number 14 in Galwan Valley on the Line of Actual Control. Officials had earlier stated that no guns had been used in the skirmish.
The Chinese resorted to rocks and barbed wires, as a pact signed by the two sides to not open fire within two kilometres from the LAC. This had been stipulated to prevent “dangerous military activities” and does not apply to routine firing activities in small arms firing ranges.
The report says that the new bodysuit which would be provided to our soldiers along the LAC would comprise of padded polycarbonate inserts and would protect wearers from, significantly, sharp objects and stones. It is being said that the army also plans to equip its troops along the LAC with spiked clubs.
One senior military analyst who did not want to be named worried over the optics of gearing the army with riot control protectors said: “It means changing an army man’s mindset into a policeman’s.”
The Indian Army added that the Indian troops had reached the spot where the clashes happened without any animosity and were displaying friendly gestures to the Chinese side that they were there to check if the de-escalation agreement was being followed as promised. “But they trapped and carried out the attacks, a purely savage act,” the Indian Army official said.
India lost 20 of its brave soldiers in the skirmish, while the Chinese troops also suffered severe casualties as at least 43 Chinese troops are either injured or dead during the attacks that took place on Monday night.